Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Deme la Luna


If one has any doubts at all about how I feel, let me dispell those doubts with this entry: the moon mystifies me. I can stand beneath her for hours on end, and look upon her landscape. That is, until I fall over. I recently answered a question on questions.yahoo.com that went something like this:

What kind of thoughts flash through your mind when you see the Full Moon....?

I always stop and stare. I wonder how early man reacted to a big, bright moon standing out among a backdrop of stars would react. Did they stop and stare? Did they dance? Did they worship the moon?

Then I think at how we've touched it, walked on it, and how will will do it again some day.

Then I fall over because looking up makes me dizzy.


That is entirely, completely, and undoubtedly true.

So, to celebrate the fact that last night (July 7, 2009) saw a full moon grace the sky over Colorado...I will one of my poems that I have written to, for, or about the moon:

MOON GHAZAL

Steady on her course she runs
Through the dark sponge of the night sky

Her pale glory grins into every heart
The sparkling smile of the night sky

Stars dance-- marking her trailing swath
An amusement park of the night sky

She waxes and wanes and waxes again
Fulfilling her arc of the night sky

Branding my soul while she quietly crafts
Her indelible mark of the night sky


No comments: