Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hexelplex Part Deux

I gotta say that I'm not entirely thrilled with how Hexelplex worked out for me. I used an exercise in a book to write it...and it reads just like I used an exercise in a book to write it. I did, however, get some material that I will use in the rewrite (which, I guess, was the whole purpose of that exercise.)

So I am deep in the rewrite process with that poem. To anyone who might anxiously await the next installment for Nanny ToggleBottom's little book...it ain't comin'. Still, here is a litle bit of a bard's tale told from our Guy's Nite Out group (see the 'links [not patties?]' to your right.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gathering of the Intrepid Three

A typical story, in a typical time,
Of caverns, and monsters, laid out in a rhyme.
A story I’ll tell you, for it happened to me,
A story I’ll tell you, of the Intrepid Three.
For this piece I choose to make a verbal collage,
And to my fellow bards I pay this homage.
And though to you this may seem folly,
I choose the voice of Thomas Babington MaCauley…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Vasha sent out the summons,
Calling adventurers by the score,
The Orb was not in grasp,
And she could abide that no more
Brave men moved to assemble,
As she sought the best of the best.
Men with scarred faces,
Of various races
To send on a mystery quest.
The strange and beautiful Vasha,
Whose motives remain obscured.
The bold and glorious Vasha:
A spirit confident and assured.
To a small village inn,
Great adventurers were invited…
She chose the rockman Sk’orn,
Dark Eeyen, and Thanis of Stelaborn
Three souls of the world united.

“You three are the ones I have chosen,
For your have talents separate and fair.
Sk’orn for the stone, Thanis to charm,
And Eeyen for all else you would dare.
Outside of town is a cave,
A cavern of perils uncharted.
I invoke upon you bravery,
For I deal not with the fainthearted.

“In that cave, deep in the darkness,
A treasure lies underground;
An item to behold,
Of value greater than gold,
Its vast power untold,
Waiting to be found.
Go forth with power and glory.
Seek out with stealth and care.
Though I may seem unkind
Its purpose I must bind
Or the treasure you will not find
Its magic unusual and rare.

“’Tis called the Orb of Denithor,
Its source of power unknown,
Seek ye out this ancient magic
‘Neath the mountain of stone.
Power hides the Orb,
A veil that shrouds the site,
For if you know its purpose
The cave is sealed tight.

“Go forth and find this bauble
Return with it to me
Keep all else you find there
As payment of your fee.”

Sent out by noble Vasha,
Sent on an Herculean chore.
Rode forth the Intrepid Three,
Right anxious were they to see,
The Orb of Denithor.
A task given to their utter glee—
Off on a mysterious charge
To find a treasure at large
A job designed for the Intrepid Three.

No comments: