Monday, June 29, 2009

The Beginning of "I Love You…"

“We don’t know the moment when love begins,
But we always know the moment when love ends.”
-Harris Telamacher
(L.A. Story)

If you haven’t seen the movie, do yourself a favor and see it. That’s it. That’s my plug for the film “L.A. Story.” I won’t say anymore about the movie. I would like to address this quote, as it is one of many that this movie offers for those who listen while watching movies.

Since I first heard Steve Martin’s voiceover lay down these words, I thought that they contained infinite truth and abundant wisdom. That was before I fell in love with Jen. Now I know that with some love, one can mark the beginning, and hopefully never the end.

I had seen her, watched her talking with friends, and I couldn’t help but notice how she looked in her pink jumper. What can I say but that I had a bad case of the smitten kitten? But that was not love. Smite, even deep smite of the heart, does not equal love. Only love is love…accept no substitutes.

I remember the time and place when the smittenness of my heart morphed into love. It was across a Subway counter in Littleton, Colorado. Jen worked there, and I had a part time job hanging out and watching Jen work. Now before you call me a filthy stalker, let me just say that we were dating, and I had to spend as much time with her as I could because I had plans to leave the country for a few years. So it’s cool…simmer down…she was ok with it.

Like I said, she was working and I was watching her work. In a lull, a brief moment, we leaned across the counter to sneak a little kiss. It was a peck on the lips, nothing more, but it unlocked a new world. Everything changed, and I realized it at that moment. As we parted, I wanted to tell her that I loved her. I mean I really loved her and I knew it.

Before I could even draw breath to give power to those words, she said it first. I was relegated to an “I love you, too.”

It felt lamely given, but held no less truth than the phrase “I love you” without the “too” attached to it. That was it. That was the beginning of the “I love you…more” war. Though my “more” came out strangely sounding like “too”, it was true.

“We don’t know the moment when love begins,
But I do know, Jen, that I love you more.”
-Bob Justus
(Just now…this blog)

No comments: