Thursday, May 29, 2008

To Be a Teacher...

A large part of me really wants to teach. I loved my two years in the Dominican Republic as a missionary. Truthfully I served as kind of a “wandering teacher” of sorts. Not only did I teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but I taught people how to read, and how to speak English. Sometimes though things happen that are so reprehensible in the teaching profession, that I am loathe to join the ranks of the public school teachers…

Young Alex Barton, 5-years-old, has had some issues in school. A small part of it is because he is just in kindergarten…a hard first year for kids. The major reason why he acts out has to do with Asperger’s Syndrome—an autism spectrum disorder. His parents know that these issues exist: they search actively for answers on how they can help their little guy. The school administrators know that these issues exist: they have special resource teachers in the class to help him a “couple of times a week.” Then why does Wendy Portillo, Alex’s teacher, feel that she has to destroy the child to build up her power base in the class?

Wendy Portillo held a “town meeting” and a “caucus” in the class. She had each child speak in turn, with Alex standing in front of them, and tell what they didn’t like about Alex. Finally she had them all vote on whether or not Alex “deserved” to stay in class with them. They voted 14-2 to oust Alex out of class.

Did she teach them that the Constitution of the United States of America gives Alex the right to an education? Did she tell them that the same document denies her the power of class dictator, as well as denying them any voting rights as to whether or not Alex “deserved” to exercise his constitutionally granted rights?

No.

That does not even represent the most heinous abuse. When she asked Alex where he would go, now that the class had rejected him, he said that he would go to the office and sit with the principle. She then informed him that the office didn’t want him either. Not only did she take it upon herself to deal direct damage to a young child’s psyche, she dealt untold damage on the other children of the class. She has emboldened future bullies, and maybe shamed children into making bad decisions based on what the crowd around them does.

Here's a link to the news story that I found...
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=dbf1f64b-7187-4bbe-a3e4-ae567c2f0cc9


The fact that the school’s administration did nothing punitive to teach this “teacher” the limits to her rights in that classroom sickens me. Usually I will not use the precious space of my blog for venting, but this behavior cannot go un-vented.

Do I want to join myself to administrations that condone such monstrous behavior? Will my tiny actions be noticeable in a morass of ugliness? I may not be able to change the entire educational system, but I can make a difference in the life of one such child like Alex Barton. I can dig a little deeper to find the patience to help him. I can challenge myself to nurture such a child. If my teaching can change just one kid’s life, then it is worth the effort to be a teacher.

1 comment:

Silas said...

As a guy whose nephew has Asperger's Syndrome, this is an outrage - this teacher has no business within 5 miles of kids, let alone in the classroom.

It reminds me of the teacher I had for two years - grades 5 and 6. He took every chance he could to belittle and demean kids. Yes, we were rather well behaved, because the public derision wasn't worth it, but it sent me into a shell for a couple of years.

And I was a well-adjusted kid. I can't imagine what this kind of treatment would do to a child with this kind of disorder. I don't know what you know about Asperger's, but it doesn't allow my Nephew to be able to react correctly to things, most especially to change. So what will being kicked out of class do to him?

Vent away. This kind of trash needs to be taken out.

-Darren